• Be sure your pet has enough clean, cool water.
• When walking your pets, make sure to protect their feet with booties. If the paws are cracked Mushers Secret is a good healing cream (booties and cream are both available at Bubbly Paws). My personal favorite are the Ruff wear booties.
• Make sure the short haired dogs wear jackets and sweaters to stay warm. ( Jackets and Sweaters are available at Bubbly Paws)
• Limit your walks to 5 minutes or less. Dogs paws and noses can get frostbite, just like humans.
• Never leave your pet unattended in a parked car for any period of time.
• Be careful at local dog parks, many have turned into solid ice.
• Make sure your pooch has a warm place to sleep away from drafts from windows and doors. Be careful around open flames and electric heaters.
If you see an animal outside without shelter or in an unattended car, call Minneapolis Animal Care & Control immediately -- in Minneapolis, dial 311 (612-673-3000). If you believe the situation to be life-threatening and the animal is non-responsive, please call 911.